Monday, February 25, 2008

Adventures in Relocation

So the good news: we've got a house!!!

The better news: I've got lots of funny moving stories!

I'd never given it much thought before, because I'd never had the luxury of moving in stages, but if one packs stuff from the top down, one ends up with nowhere to put the stuff from the top, and no room to move the stuff from the bottom into the house. We discovered this when we packed and moved all of the books and desk contents from our apartment to the new house (for those who don't know, I have a rather ridiculously sized book collection that I refuse to part with). I did pack the book shelves, but once we'd packed these things, there wasn't room in the truck to pack the desks. So we get to the new house and unload... and realize I also had forgotten to pack the shelves part of the bookshelves, and just packed the frame! Thus the house quickly filled with boxes of books and desk stuff, and nowhere to empty these boxes to. The easy solution would seem to be go get the desks and reassemble them at the new house, right? Except the new house was filled with boxes, so there wasn't much room for assembling desks... oops. Needless to say, after some creative rearranging, we managed to get the desks and the bookshelves up...

... in the dark. Why was it dark, you ask? Because the same brilliant me who forgot the bookshelf shelves also packed the lamps... and no light bulbs! Our new house is kind of an older style that doesn't have a whole lot of overhead lighting (only in the bathrooms, kitchen, and hallway). So those lamps were pretty important for seeing what was going on in the bedroom, office, mancave, etc. - or would have been, if I'd packed the bulbs.

And now, just when you thought I couldn't be any more ridiculous... I managed to get myself stuck in the shower this morning! Yep... stuck... inside the shower... See, the new tub has solid sliding doors instead of a normal shower curtain. Being in a hurry this morning, I got into the shower and closed the door a little too vigorously, I guess, because it jumped off it's designated track and got jammed in the path of the door on the other side, so neither one could move. Once I finished my shower and realized I couldn't exit the tub (and didn't have my glasses, so I couldn't see to attempt to fix the door) I start yelling for Steve - except Steve is in the mancave with his music up all the way, and he can't hear me. So now I'm very stuck... Needless to say, since I'm at work writing this blog, I eventually managed to free myself in a feat of nearsighted engineering that I'll leave to those with vivid imaginations (just remember, I'm the one who walks into walls at night without my glasses). Thankfully, I'm no longer stuck - and I'll definitely be more gentle with the shower door from now on.

So now a couple of questions I would like to pose, to those of you who've read this far:
#1 How does one put tile on the ceiling of a bathroom (actually 2 bathrooms in our house) and get it to dry before it falls off? And why would one want to tile a ceiling? In case you're curious, our bathrooms are basically tiled cubes, hee hee. I'll post pictures once I unpack the camera.

#2 Who ever thought to put a window in a shower? Were they expecting people like me to break the shower doors and get stuck? I did actually consider climbing out the window and into the back yard naked this morning (it was dark, but unfortunately the front door was still locked, so I nixed that plan).

#3 So when are y'all going to come visit me???

Okay, so I guess I've babbled enough for now (it's time for class at any rate). In spite of all my misadventures in moving, I'm super excited about having a place of our own! I still can't really believe it - it seems too grown up to be my life. It kind of feels like I'm house-sitting for someone again, and they're going to come home and take the house back, hee hee. But it's really our stuff there, and our name on the mailbox (at least it will be once I stick the letters on)... it's really our house!


P.S. Our house has plenty of space for visitors... hint, hint. =)

1 comment:

Maria H. Andersen said...

Hee hee. The window in the shower is for when you need to escape from the assassin who has entered your house and you are hiding in the shower - haven't you seen this seen in movies? Duh!

I will, of course, be at NKU next week - how far IS that from Lexington? If you want to come get me and bring me back one evening, I'll come see the new house!