Saturday, September 1, 2007

So how do you make a dog pee?

Today we got a new family member. For the moment, her name is Malibu (the name they gave her at the pound), but only until I decide on a name that doesn't remind me of Barbie dolls. This is her:She's an incredibly sweet dog, and the coolest shade of red (she and Steve have matching hair!), but she's still a little unsure about people and pretty shy. We knew about this when we picked her up, so it's not really a big deal... The only problem is, she won't pee when we take her outside. I think maybe she's too nervous or overwhelmed or something, but we took her to the field behind our house when she first got here, took her for a long walk a couple of hours later, and just spent about 45 minutes outside trying to let her roam the yard and get acquainted with it... and still... no pee. I'd be fit to burst by now if I were her!

Other than that, it's been really fun watching her exploring our apartment. The walk was a little hairy at a couple of points when there were loose dogs around. It wasn't like she was aggressive, more just skittish or a little afraid. And she also gets a little nervous around people who move too fast (she laid down and wouldn't get up when a runner ran by, but she got up fine afterwards).

So, I think we all have a ways to go in the getting comfortable department, but we're working on it (if anyone has any hints, lemme know). I already signed her up for an obedience class that starts in a couple of weeks. And there's a doggy daycare (yes, Maria, I could possibly be turning into one of "those people") just down the road, and I'm thinking about sending her once or twice a week on the days I have to stay all day on campus, so she can socialize and learn a little more about being dog-ish (I mean, she's the only dog I've ever met who will take a Milk-bone or a Snausage from you and then set it on the floor and walk away!).

Anyhow, I'm lovin' it, finally having a dog in the house! (Megan does the happy dance) And that's pretty much all the news I've got for today.

1 comment:

Maria H. Andersen said...

Congrats to the new doggie parents! (and doggie grandparents)

Per the "peeing" problem, perhaps one of you needs to squat next to her and show her how it's done.

Sisco always enjoyed "company" on his early-morning pottie outings.

Just don't get arrested for indecent exposure.